MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

ON TUESDAY, 20 JUNE 2006 AT 7.30 PM

 

PRESENT: Cllr M Bates Chairman

Cllr B Hawkins Vice Chairman

Cllr D Woods

Cllr D Roberts

Cllr P Flynn

Cllr A Lucas

Cllr P Mullock

Mrs J Fletcher Clerk

IN ATTENDANCE: Cllr T Stone

 

1.

APOLOGIES – Apologies were received from Cllr W Kohler.

Actions

2.

 

ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND REPRESENTATIVES

 

Planning Committee – Officers will remain as 2005 - Chairman, Cllr D Roberts,

Vice Chairman, Cllr P Flynn

Duxford Liaison – Cllr P Mullock – Cllr Hawkins will stand in when necessary

Tree Officer – Cllr D Woods

All other representatives will remain as in 2005

 

 

 

3.

MINUTES OF MEETING OF 16 MAY 2006

 
 

The minutes were agreed and signed as a true record.

 

4.

MATTERS ARISING

 
 

Cllr Woods had sent a card of appreciation for help and support during her term of office.

Wall in Rectory Lane

The situation remains unchanged.

Street Lights

No further information.

Interactive Signs

This sign has not yet been moved.

Village Sign

CCC has agreed to provide a new sign

Concessionary Fares

Cllr Roberts advised that there had been a long debate at the Scrutiny Committee. The minutes will be on the SCDC website.

Cllr Stone advised that CCC has taken legal advice as they cannot see why SCDC could not transfer funds to CCC. Due to lack of funds there will be no special concession for Park and Ride.

Parish Planning Pack – this will be discussed at the next Planning meeting.

Westfield Road – A number of residents have complained about the condition of this road – CCC Highways Department will be informed.

Cars on Grass – Pipers Close

There appear to be a succession of cars being advertised for sale on this grass area.

Cllr Roberts will speak to SCDC

Cllr Stone will raise the question of legality of this action with CCC.

SeniorLink Presentation

Cllrs Woods and Roberts reported that although interested Foxton has too few people to proceed.

Rubbish at Cemetery

A notice will be put up asking visitors to take rubbish home if possible. An article will also be sent for inclusion in the Fowlmere & Thriplow News.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

Cllr Roberts

Cllr Stone

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

5.

COUNTY COUNCIL AFFAIRS

 

 

 

Stansted Airport

The County has received a presentation from BAA on their application to Uttlesford District Council to raise the number of passengers passing through the airport from 25 million to 35 million. Councillors seem to be forging a cross-party consensus that cheap air travel will need to be restricted. This is for reasons of environmental concern and also because the vast majority of the proposed increase in passenger numbers would come from cheap holiday flights, which are regarded as a loss of revenue to the United Kingdom.

White lines

I'm afraid I've forgotten exactly which road we were talking about but there was the matter of missing white lines in one stretch. I put this to Mike Cooper, who responded, "The white lines were removed together with the cat’s eyes when a footway was constructed outside the cottages. There are strict guidelines about white lines and this section of road was reduced in width (at the request of the PC and residents) to the point where it longer requires any".

Cllr Hawkins mentioned that it was impossible for two lorries to pass.

The meeting agreed that a ‘Road Narrows’ sign should be erected.

Local Development Framework

In case you have missed it, someone whose name has not been given, has applied to build houses on all the remaining land up to the village boundary between Cambridge and Thriplow Road. We have until noon on Friday 28th July to make a response to this application.

Cllr Roberts advised that there will be a special Planning meeting to discuss this.

Police

I asked at a meeting with the police yesterday when we would be getting news about our Community Beat manager. I was told that we should all hear soon. The police newsletter is to be reinstated "soon". It seems that the police are in a bit of a muddle about who gets what by way of information. They were surprised that I and fellow Councillors generally thought we get nothing, apart from John Sutton's valedictory.

Street Lighting

CCC is aware of the number of lights taken over by each parish and bills will arrive in September.

ROCS Award

I should be most grateful for your support in my attempt to have Mike Cooper's efforts rewarded with a "Recognition of outstanding customer service" award. You may have seen the effort he has put into solving the Mill Corner problem.

Cllr Roberts moved to support this and the meeting agreed unanimously.

Cllr Stone left the meeting at 8.05 pm

 

6.

LOW COST HOUSING

 
 

The Chairman welcomed Alison Turnbull from Flagship Housing who is on secondment from Cambridge Housing Society.

Alison stated that since the possibility of developing the Triangle had fallen through Flagship had been looking for an alternative site. Land behind Westfield Road is possibly too large, access is difficult and CCC Highways has mentioned that no development would be possible without street widening. For a widening scheme to be viable a much larger scheme would be necessary.

Alison will investigate the possibility of commissioning a Housing Need Survey and continue to identify a smaller and more easily accessible site.

Alison left the meeting at 8.25 pm.

 

7.

PLANNING

 

7/A

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH on TUESDAY 30 MAY 2006 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts (Planning Chairman), Cllr D Woods, Cllr P Flynn, Cllr W Kohler, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

Apologies were received from Cllr M Bates

1. Election of Chairman and Vice Chairman

Cllr Woods nominated Cllr Roberts as Chairman of the Planning Committee. This was seconded by Cllr Flynn and agreed unanimously.

Cllr Woods nominated Cllr Flynn as Vice Chairman. This was seconded by Cllr Roberts and agreed unanimously.

2. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

3. S/0920/06/F – Erection of agricultural storage building following demolition of piggery building – Lanacre, Chrishall Road – P Rogers

Cllr Flynn asked for clarification of the type of agricultural work that is being carried out at Lanacre.

The meeting was concerned about the application and wished to know where there is proof that a commercial Christmas tree venture is taking place and why it requires such a large warehouse-type building.

At present the meeting could see no justification for approval and trust SCDC will investigate this matter further.

The meeting also feels the application is against the policies for the open countryside.

4. S/0895/06/F – Extension, 16 Savile Way – Mr & Mrs D Ashton

The meeting had no objection to this application as the extension is modest, will fit in with the surrounding area and also adjoins an open green.

5. Parish Planning Pack

Cllr Roberts has yet to circulate the documents. This matter will be discussed at the 20 June PC meeting.

6. Cemetery – Landscaping of Extension

Following the retirement of Mr D Sarsons at the District Valuers office, this organisation will be contacted with a request for updated information on the sale of the land.

Following Condition 5 of SCDC Planning permission, Cllr Roberts will ask the Tree Officer to visit the cemetery and advise on burial positions relating to existing trees. Cllrs Woods and Roberts will both attend this visit.

7. OTHER MATTERS - There were no other matters.

The meeting closed at 7.55 pm

 

7/B

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH

on TUESDAY 13 JUNE 2006 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts (Chairman, Planning Committee), Cllr D Woods,

Cllr P Flynn, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

Apologies were received from Cllr M Bates and Cllr W Kohler

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/0671/06/F – Garden Store, Workshop and Fencing (retrospective application) – Mill House, Fowlmere Road, Melbourn – M Taylor

The meeting had no objection to the application as it blends in reasonably well with the area but Councillors would like confirmation that the workshop is not being used for commercial purposes.

3. S/1046/06/LB – Internal and External alterations including removal of pantiled porch and replacement of 13 windows – 4 Perks Close, Chapel Lane – Mrs K Mackenzie

Inside alterations: the meeting will be guided by the decision of SCDC Conservation Officer.

External windows: the meeting refuse this application as the proposed replacement windows are unsympathetic and totally out of keeping with the history of the property. If windows need to be replaced the meeting felt this should be done with windows of the same style as at present. Any change will completely alter the character of a historical property of the village.

4. S/1048/06/F – Extension 20 Chapel Lane – Mr & Mrs Gee

The meeting had no objection to the application as the extension will not directly overlook other properties. Also, there is a large distance between this property and neighbours.

5. OTHER MATTERS

Deemed consent at 70 Chapel Lane

Letter of deemed consent received from SCDC regarding the reduction of two Ash trees.

This was noted by the meeting.

Grass cutting

Cllr Roberts had been notified that the grass near the Fowlmere sign on Cambridge Road was dangerously high. The Clerk will contact CCC to request this be cut.

The meeting closed at 8.05 pm

 

7/C

Cllr Roberts summarised outstanding problems regarding Long Lane/Rectory Lane site as follows:

  • SCDC has supported the Parish Council regarding reinstatement of the wall and refused amended plans for a fence. To date remedial work has not been carried out.
  • Two garages are much higher than approved, consisting of two storeys with a staircase.
  • £15,000 under the 106 Agreement has not been paid as the Developer’s Agent has stated the project has not yet been handed over.

The meeting suggested that letters be sent to Colin Tucker, SCDC Legal Department mentioning a lack of action regarding the £15,000, and David Rush, SCDC Planning Department regarding removal of the fence and reinstatement of the wall and also concern at the development of the garages.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

7/D

A meeting will be held on 27 June to discuss the local framework documents.

Planning Committee

8.

BURIAL BOARD

 
 

Cemetery

Cllr Woods mentioned that the chapel doors and cemetery gates need redecorating. The meeting agreed to investigate prices.

Land Purchase

The meeting agreed that the District Valuer’s office should continue with this purchase.

Hewitson’s will be asked for a price to carry out the conveyancing work.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

Clerk

9.

FINANCE

 
 

Audit

An end of year reconciliation was circulated to all present.

Cllr Woods proposed the meeting adopt the accounts for 2005, this was seconded by Cllr Hawkins and agreed unanimously.

 
 

Cheques signed at current meeting:

Mrs R Shaw URC grass cutting (plus extra) £ 80.00

Hardy Landscapes Grass cutting £ 919.08

Mrs J Fletcher April salary £ 395.04

EDF Energy Cemetery electrics £4148.91

Funds received in the month:

HM Customs VAT £ 320.86

 

10.

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

Butts Road – Mrs Dixon

Following a complaint the Clerk will contact CCC Highways Department.

A request was also made for trees to have crowns reduced. Cllr Woods will ask Chris Wall for a quote for this work.

Church Room Hire

Cost will now be £10 per occasion. As PC meetings are extremely brief the PCC will be requested to charge accordingly – this will be discussed at the next Finance meeting

Heavy Vehicle Controls

Cllr Bates will look at the website.

 

Clerk

Cllr Woods

 

 

 

Finance Mtg

 

Cllr Bates

11.

OTHER MATTERS

 
 

Cllr Lucas advised that after cutting back the encroaching grass on the Butts path, the resulting rubbish may be used by the school.

Cllr Woods suggested that as Peter Hall is retiring as churchwarden a letter of appreciation be sent.

Cllr Flynn mentioned that a resident from Isons Close had requested an overhanging tree be reduced. Cllr Roberts will mention this to John Hellingsworth, SCDC Tree Officer, when they meet at the cemetery on 21 June.

Cllr Mullock asked for attendance at CALC meetings to be shared. Cllr Bates will attend when necessary providing there is enough notice. Cllr Mullock has already spoken to CALC and advised that agendas and papers do not arrive at his address.

Cllr Woods reminded the meeting that with the resignation of Andrew Newby the co-option process will need to be started.

Cllr Roberts had been advised that the footpath beside Jackson’s Way is overgrown. Cllr Woods will mention this to Chris Wall.

Cllrs Roberts stated that the village map is now unreadable. This will be discussed at the next Planning meeting. In the meantime Welding Alloys will be asked to replace the map.

Cllr Bates advised that he may attend CALC training for new Chairmen.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

Cllr Roberts

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

Cllr Woods

 

Planning Mtg

Clerk

Cllr Bates

13.

CONFIRM DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS

Finance Tuesday, 4 July 2006

Parish Council Tuesday, 18 July 2006

Parish Council Tuesday, 19 September 2006

Finance Tuesday, 3 October 2006

 
 

The meeting closed at 9.20 pm

 
 

Clerk to the Parish Council: Julie Fletcher, 21 Ryecroft Lane, Fowlmere, SG8 7TT