MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

ON TUESDAY, 18 JULY 2006 AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT: Cllr M Bates Chairman

Cllr B Hawkins Vice Chairman

Cllr D Woods

Cllr D Roberts

Cllr P Flynn

Cllr W Kohler

Mrs J Fletcher Clerk

IN ATTENDANCE: Cllr T Stone

Mr Alikem Brese, Business Development Director, Granta Housing Society Ltd

Mr Harry Hughes, Levitt Partnership, Architects.

 

1.

APOLOGIES – Apologies were received from Cllrs P Mullock and A Lucas.

Actions

 

The Chairman proposed that item 6 – Low Cost Housing - be brought forward and discussed after item 5 - County Council Affairs. The meeting agreed.

 

2.

MINUTES OF MEETING OF 18 JUNE 2006

 
 

The minutes were agreed and signed as a true record.

 

3.

MATTERS ARISING

 
 

Rectory Lane

The situation remains unchanged.

Cllr Roberts commented that weeds in the open areas are now waist high and trees and formal planting are dieing. Cllr Roberts will again email SCDC Legal Officer for action and also confirm that apart from the required eight dwellings being sold, ten are completed, eight of which are occupied.

The Parish Council is not willing to take over the site in the present condition.

Street Lights

No further information.

Interactive Signs

The sign has been moved. The meeting was unsure if the new position near the church was satisfactory but to date there had been no complaints.

Concessionary Fares

There has been no progress.

Cars on Grass – Pipers Close

Cllr Roberts has been advised that this matter is not a responsibility for SCDC.

Mike Cooper of CCC, Highways Department, advised: 

  • Cars placed on the highway for sale should have road tax. If not the law is being broken and the police will prosecute. 
  • Operating a business from a private house off the highway needs approval by SCDC. Permission would never be granted to operate a business on the highway. 
  • I will inspect and see if there are any safety implications with cars parked on the verge at this location. I regret there are no specific rules that cover this though. 
  • Has the Parish Council raised their concerns with the resident?

Rubbish at Cemetery

Cllr Roberts has burnt the rubbish in the incinerator but bottles and plastic is still being dumped.

A notice will be put up asking visitors to take rubbish home if possible. An article will also be sent for inclusion in the Fowlmere & Thriplow News.

Local Development Framework

A letter has been sent to SCDC advising of the PC’s objection to the exclusion site.

White Lines

Cllr Roberts advised that a resident has measured the road, compared these with an area that does have white lines and stated that the High Street is wider. Cllr Stone will take this fact back to Mike Cooper.

Housing Needs Survey

Cllr Roberts had been contacted regarding a two-acre site next to the Village Hall.

Cllr Roberts had replied that a number of Housing Associations have approached the PC regarding other sites in the village but that no formal decisions can be made at such an early stage. Also the Parish Council policy is to facilitate housing for Fowlmere people only and at present can foresee the need for about half an acre.

Tree Work

Cllr Roberts had met with SCDC Tree Officer and minor work can be carried out in the three areas under discussion.

Village Map

Welding Alloys has advised that the village map will be replaced with a new one.

CALC Training

Cllr Bates was unable to attend this training.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

Cllr Bates

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Stone

4.

There were no declarations of interest in any following items.

 

5.

COUNTY COUNCIL AFFAIRS

 

 

 

The Police

Possibly as a result of my meeting with Inspector Ormerod on 19th June we now have details of local police officers, which I have e-mailed to you. I asked the police if Parish Councils also get this information regularly and was told that they only get it if Eric Spoelstra has them on his e-mail list. It would be nice to know whether you are on the list and get the information. If not you can register with him at Eric.Spoelstra@cambs.pnn.police.uk

Guided Bus

The County Council has received an offer of £92.5million towards the £116.2 million cost of the guided busway to be built from St Ives to Milton and from the Trumpington Park and Ride to Cambridge station using disused railway lines. The remainder of the money is to be extracted by way of Section 106 agreements - principally from the developers of the new village at Northstowe. Lib Dems on the Council have consistently opposed the guided bus because the increasing number of buses on the streets of Cambridge is likely to make a bad situation worse. The vote in Council today was to go ahead with the guided bus.

Mill Road signage

I had a look to the Mill Road corner a couple of days ago and wonder if the signage has made any difference. Incidentally while I was there I waved at two near-neighbours from Whittlesford who were passing by in their cars on their way to and from Melbourn.

School Warning Sign

The sign on High Street has been moved from outside The Green, where the photovoltaic cells were pointing straight into a yew tree, and therefore did not work in winter. It is now quite close to the church. Apparently that is the nearest acceptable site, whatever the aesthetics.

The Parish Council mentioned that there had been no complaints.

Cllr Stone left the meeting at 7.55 pm

 

6.

LOW COST HOUSING

 
 

The Chairman welcomed Mr Alikem Brese, Business Development Director, Granta Housing Society Ltd together with their Architect Mr Harry Hughes, Levitt Partnership, Architects.

Mr Brese advised that Granta Housing has been looking at a site in London Road and has carried out a feasibility study. A very rough sketch has been produced and an application would be made for grant funding. Development would be for immediate housing requirements with the possibility of extending should the need arise.

SCDC has concerns such as:

  1. access suitability for up to 20 units
  2. noise problems at the village hall – houses will be designed to cope with this.

Mr Brese asked the PC to consider whether this site should be considered, as without support from the PC the development will not go ahead.

There would be a mixture of low cost home ownership and rented accommodation.

A Planning application is costly and Granta Housing would prefer to know the feelings of the PC and SCDC before taking this step.

Cllr Roberts advised that Granta Housing is the second Association to approach the PC regarding sites in the village. The PC has taken the view that although happy to hear views of Associations it cannot make any recommendation at this moment.

Both presentations will be discussed at the September meeting and a decision made regarding the way forward. Should a site be thought suitable then the village will be informed. A housing needs survey is essential.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sept meeting

7.

PLANNING

 

7/A

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH

on TUESDAY 27 JUNE 2006 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts (Chairman, Planning Committee), Cllr P Flynn, Cllr M Bates (Chairman, Parish Council), Cllr B Hawkins, Cllr A Lucas, Cllr W Kohler, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk) IN ATTENDANCE: Two residents. Apologies were received from Cllr D Woods

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

Cllr Roberts declared an interest in item 3 - Application S/2445/05/PNA - as Mr Deans is a neighbour.

2. S/1093/06/F – Conservatory, 2 Cambridge Road – Mr & Mrs Steele

The meeting had no objection as this is a modest addition to what is already in place.

3. S/2445/05/PNA – Agricultural Building, Land at Long Lane – A Deans

Cllr Roberts left the room while discussions took place.

The meeting had no objection as the proposed building does not impinge on any neighbours.

Cllr Roberts returned at this point.

4. S/0895/06/F – Extension, 16 Savile Way – Mr & Mrs D Ashton

The proposed change in appearance is acceptable to the meeting.

5. Tree Application – Gladiator Development

The meeting declared a personal but not prejudicial interest.

The meeting had no objection providing the Tree and Landscape Officer is happy for this work to be carried out.

Cllr Roberts will contact the owner of the Chequers to confirm he is aware of the proposed tree work.

6A. S/2035/00/F – 16 Houses and Garages, Land off Long Lane/Rectory Lane – PHA Project Management Limited

After extensive discussion the meeting raised the following points:

  • they would like confirmation the footprint is the same
  • Has noticed that there is a substantial height increase
  • With four enclosed sides the structures are more of a building than a shelter
  • There are now two floors with a substantial staircase which makes the buildings habitable, being clearly against condition 10 of the planning permission.
  • Entering the site from Long Lane these two buildings are substantial and dominant. They are also considerably out of scale with the main properties they serve.
  • One argument during the appeal was that the development should be of mixed properties – this is now not the case.

In light of the above the meeting agreed that these out of character garages should be rebuilt to the original approved design.

The meeting also suggested that the amendment should go to Planning Committee for a decision and requested that the Committee visit site prior to making a decision.

Cllr Roberts pointed out that a conservation area completely surrounds this site.

6B. As the wall has still not been built a letter will be sent to Mr Sexton at SCDC stating that as the contractor will shortly be leaving site the matter is now very urgent.

6C. The meeting also understands that No. 7 Cassander Close appears to have been altered in a similar fashion to the two garages mentioned in application S/2035/00/F.

A letter will be sent to SCDC requesting this inconsistency be checked.

6D. 106 Agreement

SCDC has advised that the developer’s agent Derrick Wade Waters has been contacted regarding the £15,000 payment. The agent has also been reminded that until the payment is received it is the responsibility of the developer to keep the open space safe, cleared, tidy, properly mown, tended and reasonably weed free.

7. Local Development Framework

The local development framework is in the final stage of consultation and objections are required by 28 July. Fowlmere has one exclusion site and will object to this.

The meeting agreed that the village envelope should remain as at present and do not believe there is any justification to extend the village. The meeting will support SCDC in retaining the development framework as at present. Extension is not sustainable as there are very few services in the village to support a development of the scale suggested.

8. OTHER MATTERS

Planning permission granted as follows:

  • Erection of 2 industrial buildings, Units 2 and 9 The Butts Business Centre
  • Loft conversion and external covered staircase, Ballacraine, Top Close
  • Change of use from stables to boarding cattery, Springfields, Fowlmere Road, Melbourn
  • Conservatory, Walnut Cottage, Ryecroft Lane

Request received from 10 Isons Close to reduce a tree which is almost touching the property.

Cllr Roberts will ask SCDC Tree Officer to look at this tree during her meeting with him on 28 June.

The meeting closed at 8.45 pm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Roberts

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Roberts

 

 

 

7/B

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH

on TUESDAY 11 JULY 2006 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts (Chairman, Planning Committee), Cllr P Flynn, Cllr D Woods, Cllr P Mullock, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk) IN ATTENDANCE: Two residents

Apologies were received from Cllr M Bates. Cllr W Kohler declared an interest in application S/1148/06/F – 42 Chapel Lane – and accordingly sent apologies for his non-attendance.

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/1148/06/F – 42 Chapel Lane – Mr & Mrs Punchard

Two residents took the opportunity to inspect the application documents and advised that their concerns were regarding possible light loss. As the structure will be of glass this should not be a problem.

The meeting had no objection to the application as this is a small conservatory that will not overlook neighbours or cause light loss.

3. Tree Application – 3 Butts View, Mr & Mrs Scrimshaw

The meeting had no objection to this work providing SCDC Tree Officer is in agreement.

4. UPDATES

SCDC has refused permission for application S/0920/06/F – Lanacre, Chrishill Road – Mr P Rogers

SCDC has granted permission for application S/0782/06/F – 3 Cassander Close

SCDC has granted permission for application S/0895/06/F – 16 Savile Way

5. OTHER MATTERS

Affordable Housing

Cllr Roberts has received an email from Mr & Mrs McBain who own two acres of land adjacent to the Village Hall. They are looking to sell the land for social housing - this land is one of the sites considered by a Housing Association.

Cllr Roberts replied that a number of Housing Associations are investigating various pieces of land in the village and they have been invited to PC meetings to present but told that no decisions can be made at this stage. The housing associations have also been advised that the PC is only looking for about half an acre of land for a small development to satisfy village needs.

The meeting agreed that a development of two acres would not be desirable.

A village needs survey is very necessary to ascertain the number of houses needed by village people.

Cllr Roberts had previously advised Mr McBain that an approach should be made to SCDC which has now been done.

Trees

Cllr Woods has received a price from Chris Wall for tree work in the village which could be done in the autumn. Shrub work along Jackson’s Way could be carried out immediately. The meeting agreed that the shrub work should be carried out now.

Memorial Well

Cllr Roberts advised that this well is being covered by ivy and needs attention.

The meeting agreed that Cllr Woods should approach Chris Wall to undertake this at the same time as the shrub work.

The meeting closed at 7.55 pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Woods

 

 

 

Cllr Woods

8.

BURIAL BOARD

 
 

Chapel Painting

Two quotations have been received – GDS £400 and Les Thurley £540.

GDS also quoted for soffits and fascias at £400. A discount will be provided if both areas of work are required.

Cllrs Woods and Roberts will check the price from Les Thurley for soffits and fascias.

Due to the time lapse before the next PC meeting in September because of the summer break, the meeting agreed that Cllrs Woods and Roberts have delegated powers to place an order after comparing quotations. Cllr Woods will keep the Chairman informed.

Electricity Costs

EDF Energy will ascertain if a licence is required to excavate land designated for burials.

Land Purchase

A price for this work is awaited from Hewitsons.

Half Plots

More designated half plots for cremated remains are required and meeting agreed that areas will be allocated in the extension area. Cllr Woods suggested that in the meantime plots at the end of rows be used for cremated remains.

The meeting agreed to reverse their previous decision for whole plots to be halved in the front row near the path.

 

 

 

 

Cllr Woods, Cllr Roberts

Cllr Woods

9.

FINANCE

 

9/A

Minutes of the meeting of Fowlmere Parish Council - Finance and General Purposes Committee held at the Dorothy Pluck Room, St Mary’s Church, Fowlmere on Tuesday 4th July, 2006 at 7-30 p.m.

Present: Cllr M Bates (Parish Council Chairman), Cllr D Woods, Cllr D Roberts, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk to the Council)

Apologies for Absence: Cllr P Flynn, Cllr B Hawkins

1 Election of Chairman

Cllr Roberts nominated Cllr Woods as Chairman of the Finance and General Purposes Committee. This was seconded by Cllr Bates and agreed unanimously.

2 Minutes of the previous meeting

Cllr Woods stated that the minutes of the 4th April 2006 had been ratified at the May 2006 PC Meeting.

3 Matters arising

The date for the Village Hall meeting has been changed to 13 July.

Cllr Roberts advised that Catriona Dunnett from SCDC Legal Department is progressing the issues related to the 106 Agreement. The Developer’s Agent has acknowledged that maintenance of the open spaces has not been adhered to. The meeting agreed that proper clearance and weeding should be carried.

4 Audit

Hardcastle Burton has advised that the accounts are in order and the completed form will be collected on 5 July. The inspection notice will be posted.

5. Room Hire

The meeting felt that the charge to the Parish Council for room hire at the church is unfair considering the average occupation of the room is about 15 minutes. A letter will be sent to the church Treasurer.

6 Trees and Grass

Cllr Roberts had met with John Hellingsworth, Tree Officer at SCDC, who has advised the following:

Cemetery Extension – Planning permission Condition

Future interments should be placed in the gaps between trees approximately 12 feet away and not directly opposite a tree.

Avenue of about 14 trees up to chapel can be pollarded back to previous pollard position. Quotes will be obtained.

Jacksons Way

Maple – lift crown and remove lower feathered growth. Remove lower branches selectively and reduce ??? approximately 10%. Quotes will be obtained.

The Green area near Isons Close

Beech tree – remove lower branch which is almost touching No. 10 and reduce end ?? to clear roof of No. 10. Quotes will be obtained.

7 Future Projects

Chapel doors and cemetery gates

Quotations will be obtained for the painting of the chapel doors and cemetery gates.

Electricity Installation

It was noted that excavation work from boundary of site up to chapel wall was not included in the EDF Energy quotation. This will be clarified and a meeting arranged with EDF Project Manager, Cllrs Woods and Roberts and Clerk to agree the direction of cable trench.

Village Map

Cllrs Woods and Roberts will visit the village of Harlton to look at their village map.

8 Other Matters

Street Lighting

Letter had been received from CCC setting out maintenance and power costs per light. The meeting agreed to review this matter after one year.

Alternative meeting room

Cllr Bates suggested that after completion of electricity installation the cemetery chapel could be used as a meeting room.

9 Date of Next Meeting - Tuesday 3rd October 2006

The meeting closed at 8.10 p.m.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

Cllr Woods and Cllr Roberts

9/B

Matters Arising

 
 

St Mary’s church

A reply has been received and the PCC Treasurer will be asked to raise the matter at the next PCC meeting.

As advance notice was not provided regarding an increase there has been no provision in the PC budget.

Income/Expenditure

Cllr Woods will provide a financial report at the October PC meeting.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

Cllr Woods

9/C

Cheques signed at current meeting:

Mr Dring Renovation materials £ 18.28

BT Telephone £ 54.34

Mrs J Fletcher June salary £ 395.04

Hardy Landscapes June cutting £ 919.08

Mrs R Shaw URC grass cutting £ 40.00

 

10.

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

Rectory Lane and High Street

Letter received advising that a common hedge is overhanging the road and vehicles are being parked causing an obstruction to residents.

Trees and shrubs from Fowlmere House in the High Street are overhanging the footpath – the meeting agreed that a letter be sent to Fowlmere House asking for the overhang to be trimmed back.

Speeding in Long Lane

Letter received that this is a continuing problem. Cllr Bates will reply to Mr Howe.

Litter Bin

Mr P Rowley has asked for a litter bin to be placed in the Pipers Close bush shelter. Before a decision is made Cllr Roberts will check that this can be emptied by SCDC.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

Cllr Bates

 

 

Cllr Roberts

11.

OTHER MATTERS

 
 

Cllr Woods asked if there was a report on the village hall meeting.

Cllr Bates mentioned that there was no written report but advised that user groups were represented and the intention is to make applications for lottery funding. Proposals were produced but these had not been costed.

 

 

13.

CONFIRM DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS

Parish Council Tuesday, 19 September 2006

Finance Tuesday, 3 October 2006

Parish Council Tuesday, 17 October 2006

 
 

The meeting closed at 9.15 pm

 
 

Clerk to the Parish Council: Julie Fletcher, 21 Ryecroft Lane, Fowlmere, SG8 7TT