MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

ON TUESDAY, 18 September 2007 AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT: Cllr B Hawkins (Vice Chairman)

Cllr D Woods

Cllr D Roberts

Cllr P Flynn

Cllr W Kohler

Cllr P Mullock

Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

IN ATTENDANCE: Cllr T Stone

One resident

 

1.

APOLOGIES – Apologies were received from Cllr M Bates.

Actions

2.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST - There were no declarations of interest in agenda items

 

3.

MINUTES OF MEETING OF 17 July 2007

 
 

The minutes of the meeting of 17 July 2007 were agreed and signed as a true record.

 

4.

MATTERS ARISING

 
 

Fire Engine Shed

Cllr Hawkins had spoken to Databridge who advised that the costs would total about £200. This would be for another camera and the computer system record. Databridge had recommended the surrounding trees be trimmed so as not to obscure visibility. Cllr Woods asked that this be considered by the Finance committee before a final decision is made. Cllr Kohler will look at the trees.

The Swan

Cllr Roberts advised that the filters have been installed and SCDC had monitored the work closely.

 

 

 

Finance Mtg

Cllr Kohler

5.

COUNTY COUNCIL AFFAIRS

 
 

Cllr T Stone presented the following report:

Law and Order

The annual Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership meeting will be taking place at Marshalls Airport on Tuesday 25th September. I should be interested to know if anyone from the Parish Council will be going.

Highways information evening

I have been complaining for years that we are getting too little information about highways matters which affect us all. The County has now responded with the proposal to hold information evenings rather like the Police ones.

The first meeting in the Duxford County Division is to be held on Tuesday 2nd October at 7.30 p.m. in Whittlesford Memorial Hall.

The County is to be represented by at least Richard Preston, Head of Network Management, South and City and Mike Cooper, our Highways Supervisor. Mick Oakman, Area Manager, Maintenance, South and City should also be there.

The event has proved to be very popular and the number of people attending is likely to be too great to fit them all into the Whittlesford depot, hence the move to Whittlesford Memorial Hall.

Congestion Charging

You will have seen discussion in the press about the potential for Congestion Charging in Cambridge. In many ways this forms part of a strategy to unlock £500million in government Transport Innovation Fund money. The council has changed its mind on access control to Cambridge and is now looking seriously at some kind of scheme because the rules of TIF funding make it mandatory.

As yet it is far too early to comment on what might happen and what will be the form of the County's bid. In fact we are finding it very difficult to discover what sort of options are being suggested, which is particularly frustrating in an initiative of this importance. Whatever the outcome it is essential that greatly improved public transport should be put in place before any scheme comes into force so that people prefer to use public transport rather than their own cars.

There is already manoeuvring around how to spend the income from the congestion charge. Many County Councillors would love to have spare cash to spend in their Divisions. But rather than allow such an unholy scrum to develop I believe that the congestion charge should be set no higher than is necessary to change people's habits and if there is a surplus then that should be spent primarily on improving more environmentally sound transport links in and around Cambridge. There should be no question of congestion charging being seen as a stealth tax.

 

 

Imperial War Museum Conservation Area

The District Council has rejected most of the recommendations of people and institutions (including the County Council) who commented on their proposal to create a Conservation Area around a large part of the museum and adjacent areas. The consultees were not informed of the District Council's conclusions. I spoke to South Cambs Conservation Officer today and went to see the Director of the IWM Duxford. The latest position is that the boundaries of the Conservation Area are now fixed, without the land to the East of the M11. However the background document is still unsatisfactory and Richard Ashton will be going to talk to the District Council to try and loosen some of the unhelpful prescriptions in the document before it is submitted to the District Council's Cabinet and effectively becomes a governing document.

I have also been busy with the parade ground issue. The IWM is to submit an amended proposal for the storage of cars limited to two years. Indications are that the officers are likely to recommend approval.

London Road resurfacing

I have had complaints at the amount of litter left by contractors, much of which has been tidies up by Pat Rowley. County Highways have asked W.S.Atkins to make sure they tidy up after themselves.

Jacksons Way

Mr Davis of Jacksons Way has asked for the road to be re-surfaced. I have inspected the area and Mr Davis is quite right that the upper part is in poor condition. Highways tell me that this is probably not a big enough job to have to await a budget as a full road scheme and they will do what they can to make a permanent repair as soon as possible.

 
 

Matters discussed following T Stone’s Report

Cllrs Roberts and Woods advised they had attended the Melbourn Neighbourhood Panel meeting on 24th July.

Cllr Roberts commented that during school holidays there is no congestion in Cambridge which would suggest the problem is caused by school runs. Cllr Roberts asked why the real problem is not being investigated.

Cllr Roberts asked if CCC would rectify the pavements in Cassanders Close.

Cllr Stone felt that the condition was not of a sufficient standard for the road to be adopted, mainly because of the drains.

Cllr Roberts stated that Mr Pettit from Cassanders Close had advised that the Residents’ Group is attempting to have the open spaces and road transferred to them as an association.

 

6.

ROUND MOAT

 
 
  • Cllr Woods asked for an update on the current funding situation.
  • Cllr Hawkins replied that the application papers are still needed. It was agreed that a letter should be sent to Mr Lucas requesting return of the papers. Funding will be discussed at the Finance meeting.
  • Cllr Kohler had spoken to Chris Wall regarding the fallen trees.
  • A letter will be sent to Mr Arriens advising that the Parish Council is happy for him to continue with clearing of the ivy. Cllr Kohler will try and contact him again.
  • BC Group Trust had left a message asking for confirmation that work can proceed. A decision is still not possible until the funding application is completed.

 

 

Clerk

Finance Mtg

Clerk

Cllr Kohler

7.

PLANNING

 

7/A

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH on TUESDAY 14 August 2007 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts, Cllr P Flynn, Cllr D Woods, Cllr W Kohler, Mrs J Fletcher

APOLOGIES: Apologies received from Cllr M Bates

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/1372/07/LDCCertificate of Lawfulness for Agricultural Building – Lanacre, Chrishall Road – P Rogers

The meeting was unanimous in its refusal of this application. There is no evidence of the type of agricultural function that is being carried out at present. Also, there have been numerous similar applications from this applicant, none of which have shown proof of an agricultural necessity for this building.

3. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

Permission granted for application S/0982/07/F – 17 Dovehouse Close

Permission granted for application S/1050/07/F – 11 Savile Way

Permission granted for application S/1094/07/F – Mill Farm, Fowlmere Road

Permission granted for application S/1175/07/F – 7 Isons Close

Permission granted for application S/0910/07/F – Queens Head, Long Lane

Appeal submitted - application reference S/0823/07/F and S/0824/07/LB – 4 Perks Close

The meeting agreed that a very strong letter should be sent to SCDC Planning Department regarding their decision to grant permission for the construction at Mill Farm.

The PC cannot understand why SCDC has allowed the construction of six extra rooms for the sole use of a 99 year old lady and a carer, when this development doubles the size of the existing property. The PC is consistent in what should be permitted and also in abiding by planning policies but fails to see why an opinion is requested and then completely disregarded.

The meeting closed at 7.50pm

 

7/B

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH on TUESDAY 4 September 2007 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts, Cllr P Flynn, Cllr M Bates, Cllr P Mullock, Cllr B Hawkins, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

APOLOGIES: Apologies received from Cllr D Woods and Cllr W Kohler

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/1511/07/FPorch, 3 St Johns Close – Mrs L Thomas

The meeting recommended approval of this neat, small extension as there would be no impact on neighbours and it will provide an attractive addition to the front of the building.

3. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

Appeal Decisions – S/1638/06/F and S/1637/06/F – Appleacre Park, London Road

Both appeals were dismissed by the Planning Inspectorate.

The meeting closed at 7.40 pm

 

7/C

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHAPEL on TUESDAY 18 September 2007 at 7.00 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts, Cllr P Flynn, Cllr D Woods, Cllr W Kohler, Cllr B Hawkins,

Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

APOLOGIES: Apologies received from Cllr M Bates

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/1603/07/FExtension, 5 Cambridge Road – Mr & Mrs Young

The meeting recommended approval of this application as the property is not in a conservation area and there will be no impact on neighbours.

3. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

Mill Farm, Fowlmere Parish Council

A letter from the Parish Council was sent to SCDC expressing concern that the opinions forwarded with regard to the Mill Farm application had been completely disregarded.

SCDC replied that Officers were of the view that the proposed works did not involve extending the exterior footprint of the building and that there were no grounds to refuse the application.

The SCDC comments were noted by all Councillors present.

The meeting closed at 7.05 pm

 

8.

CO-OPTION

 
 

The first interview will take place on 25th September at St. Mary’s church.

Cllr Woods stated that the PC should continue to make every effort to fill the vacancies and suggested that leaflets be produced and distributed.

 

 

Clerk

9.

BURIAL BOARD

 
 

Chapel

DW advised that the seals on the doors had been repaired at a cost of £250.

Les Thurley had suggested Hammerite for the gates. Unfortunately red is not available so the gates will be treated in black.

DW will reapply for further funding to cover the crack over the arch.

Parking

CCC had refused to convert the grass verge to a parking surface.

Hedge

DR is still to investigate funding for this.

New Area of Cemetery

DW advised that Hardy Landscapes will kill the weeds at a cost of £250 and then seed the area. The meeting agreed to this work.

Reservation of Plots

Cllr Bates had suggested all reserved plots be marked. Grass cutting should be considered when deciding on the type of marker if this proceeds.

DW suggested that two people should always mark a new plot.

PM suggested using a GPS system.

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Woods

 

 

 

 

Cllr Roberts

10.

TREES, GRASS AND HEDGES

 
 

WK will discuss with Chris Wall trees that are in need of immediate work.

St Mary’s Church

DR stated that a tree at the front of the church is badly overgrown. DW felt that this was general maintenance.

Email received from Mr J Jackson regarding allocation of responsibility for trees.

DW advised that she had written the report and not SCDC and Mr Jackson had received a copy. The PC had also received a report from the Association of Burial Authorities setting out responsibilities for trees in churchyards.

A letter will be sent to the PCC advising that maintenance is being ignored with the consequence that trees sometimes become a danger.

Hedges

DR mentioned the overgrown hedges in the path connecting Ryecroft Lane and Chapel Lane. DW advised everyone that she and the Clerk had in fact carried out preliminary clearing and made the path easier to navigate. A letter will be sent to the resident concerned requesting shrubs are cleared from the path.

Cllr Kohler

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

The meeting was opened to the public

 
 

A request was made for a dead tree on the corner of 24 Ryecroft Lane to be removed. DR and WK will look at this and report back.

The resident also asked if planning permission was needed for a 7’ x 5’ high wall. DR suggested that Paul Sexton at SCDC be contacted.

Cllrs Roberts and Kohler

 

Meeting was closed to the public

 

11.

FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES

 
 

The next meeting is 2nd October. DW requested copies of accounts to the end of September to prepare the necessary statement.

The second instalment of the precept had been received.

BH gave his apologies for this meeting.

 

11/B

Cheques signed at the current meeting

Mrs J Fletcher July salary £ 395.04

Cambridge Water Cemetery rates (2nd) £ 41.70

Village Web Design License £ 110.00

CALC Code of Conduct advert £ 24.00

BT Telephone £ 64.74

Just CCTV Village Hall camera repairs £ 281.42

Payments to the PC during the month

SCDC Precept (2nd) £12,015.00

 

11.

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

Letter from Mr Curuk regarding flooding in Westfield Road. CCC were chased for an update and replied they would meet Mr Curuk on site to resolve the matter.

Letter from Mental Health Trust asking to attend a PC meeting. Response will be made suggesting an area-wide meeting for all PCs rather than an individual visit.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

12.

OTHER MATTERS

 
 

DR advised that a large amount of funding had been removed following a review of Community Development at SCDC.

TS mentioned the new concessionary bus passes coming into effect in March 2008.

PF mentioned that the fruit trees on the corner of the High Street were again a hazard. As Welding Alloys’ tenants keep changing a letter will be sent to the company suggesting trees are removed completely.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

13.

CONFIRM DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS

Finance Tuesday, 2nd October 2007

PC Meeting Tuesday, 16th October 2007

PC Meeting Tuesday, 20 November 2007

It was suggested that the December meeting be cancelled.

 
 

 

The meeting closed at 8.45 pm

 
 

 

Clerk to the Parish Council: Julie Fletcher, 21 Ryecroft Lane, Fowlmere, SG8 7TT